It doesn’t matter where you live in the United States, your home is susceptible to home-invading pests. However, in areas where the weather gets cold, some pest invasions stop for part of the year. Unfortunately for us here in Dallas, the weather is warm year-round, which means we need to always be wary of pests coming into our homes. What’s worse is that when they do get inside, some pests can be dangerous to humans and our pets, while others can cause costly damage to our homes. That’s why it is so important for you to utilize general pest prevention techniques around your Dallas property. Otherwise, you could be left exposed to the various home-invading pests in the area.
Common Area Home-Invading Pests
While there is no shortage of different pests that could make their way into your Dallas home, some of the most common pests to the area include: cockroaches, ants, rodents, termites, and spiders.
Cockroaches and rodents are known to spread various harmful pathogens and disease-causing bacteria. Additionally, termites, ants, and rodents can also cause all sorts of damage to the inside of your home. They can destroy structural wood, damage wiring, and even destroy piping inside of homes, and you could end up spending a lot of money on repairs if any of these pests find their way into your home. In addition to this, some species of spiders are quite dangerous to humans, even capable of causing death in certain instances. Overall, there are countless reasons you should want to keep pests out of your home, which is why you need to know the steps you can take to help prevent them from coming in
All-Around Pest Prevention Tips
When it comes to pest prevention, there are three goals you should always keep in mind: make your home less hospitable to pests, remove any factors that could attract them inside, and seal off any potential entry points. To accomplish these three goals, you should:
- Deep clean your home, being sure to get often forgotten places like under heavy appliances, the backs of closets, attics, and crawl spaces.
- Use dehumidifiers to keep moisture levels low throughout your home.
- Keep attics and crawl spaces free of debris and clutter.
- Keep your yard well-manicured and free of debris.
- Properly store all food in airtight containers or the refrigerator.
- Wipe up any spills from countertops or floors immediately.
- Refrain from keeping dirty dishes stacked in the sink for long periods.
- Take out the trash regularly.
- Store trash in containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Pick up any uneaten pet food immediately.
- Fix any leaky pipes or fixtures in your home.
- Seal any cracks in the foundation of your home.
- Install weatherstripping around windows and exterior doors.
- Install door sweeps under exterior doors.
- Install screens in both windows and exterior doors.
- Trim back any tree branches from the exterior of your home.
If you can accomplish these simple pest prevention measures, then you should greatly reduce your odds of having pests invade your Dallas home.
The Best Form Of Pest Protection
While you can and should utilize all the pest prevention techniques at your disposal, the most effective solution for pest prevention is with ongoing assistance from the professionals here at Addison Green Lawn. Not only will we help to protect your home from any home-invading pest in the area, but we also have the proper experience and expertise to effectively eliminate any infestation should they get inside. There’s no reason you have to live with any pests invading your home. Give us a call here at Addison Green Lawn, and let us take care of it for you.