A Handy Guide To Insect Control For Dallas Families
December 15, 2022 - Lawn Pests
Dallas is one of the most prominent cities in Texas, with a diverse climate and equally diverse insect selection. When you live in Dallas, you have to deal with the fact that you have to deal with bugs and insects of all shapes and sizes. Whether you're trying to get rid of mosquitos or spray for ants, there is no place better to look than this guide to insect control and lawn care in Dallas.
The Types Of Insects That Invade Dallas Homes
Insects are hard to get rid of because they breed so quickly. Many Dallas homeowners experience insect invasions in their homes.
The most common insects that invade Dallas homes include fire ants and mosquitos.
Fire Ants: Fire ants are a common pest in Texas. Fire ant bites have a painful sting and can cause an allergic reaction in some people. The fire ant has a copper-colored head and red body. Its nest consists of many interconnected chambers, which can be identified by their irregular shape.
Mosquitoes: Mosquitoes are small flying insects with tube-like mouths that pierce the skin and suck blood. Though they come in many colors, the most common are brown or black. Mosquito populations grow fastest in warm, wet weather.
All The Ways Pests Can Be Problematic For Your Family
Fire ants are more than just an annoyance for Dallas families. These little insects are very aggressive. If you disturb a fire ant mound in your yard, fire ants will bite and sting you, causing pain and swelling. They also have venom that can cause an allergic reaction known as anaphylaxis in some people.
Mosquitos are a nuisance, but they can also be dangerous. Mosquitoes are responsible for spreading diseases like West Nile Virus, Chikungunya, and Zika. When it comes to protecting your family from these pests, it's important to know the different types of mosquitoes in Texas and how they affect your family.
The most common is the Culex quinquefasciatus. This species is found throughout the state and is most active at night between dusk and dawn. For this reason, it's often difficult to control them without using specific pesticides.
Another common species is Aedes. This species feeds during the day and tends to be more aggressive than Culex quinquefasciatus because they're looking for larger meals like human blood!
Six Eco-Friendly Insect Prevention Tips For Your Home
Insects are a fact of life in Dallas but don't worry. Here are some eco-friendly tips for preventing and controlling insects in your home:
- Install screens on windows and doors to keep out flying insects like mosquitos. Make sure all the screens fit tightly against the window frames so bugs can't get in.
- Seal cracks around windows, doors, and other areas where insects may enter through small openings, including gaps in foundations and around pipes.
- Get rid of standing water around your home by fixing leaky faucets and pipes, emptying buckets or other containers that collect rainwater after storms, and cleaning gutters regularly.
- Remove any mulch or wood chips around the base of your home and plantings, as these can provide shelter for fire ants.
- Cultivate plants that keep mosquitoes away. Citrosa plants produce oils that can repel insects.
- Clean up clutter around the house, so it doesn't provide insects with places to hide.
The Best Insect Control For Your Home
Insect control is a big part of keeping your Dallas home healthy and safe. The correct pest control can help you keep pests away from your home. If you are looking for mosquito or fire ant treatment in Dallas, Addison Green Lawn can provide experienced professional help. Contact us for a free inspection.